You are here: Groups
> Coastal and Marine Sector Group
Coastal and Marine Sector Group
The vision for the Coastal and Marine Sector Group is for "biologically
diverse, clean, healthy and productive coasts and seas, which reconcile
human needs with the conservation and restoration of wildlife habitats,
as far as possible through natural processes".
The objectives for this group include:
- Ensuring that all planning, management and legislative processes
in marine and coastal zones fully recognise the conservation of and,
where appropriate, creation of habitats;
- Promoting responsible and sustainable fisheries that ensure
healthy marine ecosystems as well as providing a livelihood for those in
- Seeking legislative mechanisms to control known damaging
activities in the marine environment such as sand and aggregate
extraction, pair trawling etc.
- Sustainable development of the new renewable energy sector
through the further incorporation of biodiversity considerations into
the environmental assessments (Strategic Environmental Assessments and
Environmental Impact Assessments), pre- and post- development
monitoring, and potential incorporation if closed areas;
- Continuing reductions in all sources and threats of pollution;
- An improved information base for understanding impacts on marine
biodiversity and to support the development of ecosystem-based policies.